Saturday, January 29, 2011

The One Promise I Kept



My Dad Robert was born on this date in 1917.His mother Helene passed away a few weeks later and his father a year or so after that.He was adopted and raised by friends of the family. Family and home were very important to him and when he and mom could afford a house of their own, they and the three of us kids were excited to move to a house on the West side of town.



I was about a second grader (I'll spare you the picture...) when dad handed me my own key to the house and said with a smile, "Don't Lose it."
Our family was to call that house home for almost 50 years, though sadly dad would only live another nine years.

I still have it.



I have taken to wearing it, along with a cross of my mother's, to remind myself of being loved and having a home somewhere.




I need that a lot.

No comments: