Saturday, January 21, 2012

El Amor en los Tiempos del Cólera

Over the weekend,I received in the mail what I'd guess to be my eighth copy of "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, the Columbian author and 1982 Nobel Laureate. I first read it in `1988 when the English translation was released and was completely overwhelmed by its magical language and heart-breaking plot of unrequited life-long love. I gave that copy to a friend, never reallly expecting to get it back. Every couple years since then I have this powerful need to reread this book, so I buy another copy and read it and inevitably give it away. This cycle continues to this day. I urge you to buy a copy (or wait for me to finish this one.)







“To him she seemed so beautiful, so seductive, so different from ordinary people, that he could not understand why no one was as disturbed as he by the clicking of her heels on the paving stones, why no one else's heart was wild with the breeze stirred by the sighs of her veils, why everyone did not go mad with the movements of her braid, the flight of her hands, the gold of her laughter. He had not missed a single one of her gestures, not one of the indications of her character, but he did not dare approach her for fear of destroying the spell.”
― Gabriel García Márquez, Love In The Time Of Cholera




WARNING: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WATCH THE MOVIE THAT IS ALLEGEDLY ABOUT THIS BOOK. IT REALLY SUCKS.

1 comment:

Paula said...

I'll Take IT!! :-)