Sunday, August 28, 2011

Widening Circles


“I live my life in widening circles
That reach across the world.”
-----Rainer Maria Rilke

I want to live my life in awareness of its widening circles:

• Each day, the turning of the earth, the rising and setting of the sun, honoring the varying qualities and gifts of light and darkness.
• Each week, a day of Sabbath rest when I release the world’s hold on me.
• Every four weeks, the moon moving through her cycle, growing into fullness, before her gentle waning until she disappears for a night into blackness…
• Every four months, the turning of the seasons and the slow movement to a new way of being in the world…
• Each year, remembering the day of my birth and the birth of all those I love. I give special honor to my commitments in life, and the days that recall great losses in my life.
• Every seven years, the changing of each cell in the body, and we are made completely new… and then there is the largest personal cycle-----
• A lifetime. My own life will fall into the great beyond, a rhythm that is not predictable or solid like the turning of the earth. I am only sure it will happen and I give myself to it. In that giving I receive a life filled with blessing.
--------Christine Valters Paintner
“The Artist’s Rule”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow great enlightenment! especially regarding the changes in a body of a new cell every seven years.thanks for posting this post! X)