Monday, October 05, 2009

Vonnegut Time


"Freud said he didn’t know what women wanted. I know what women want. They want a whole lot of people to talk to."



Where is home? I've wondered where home is, and I realized, it's not Mars or someplace like that, it's Indianapolis when I was nine years old. I had a brother and a sister, a cat and a dog, and a mother and a father and uncles and aunts. And there's no way I can get there again.


Shrapnel was invented by an Englishman of the same name. Don't you wish you could have something named after you?


If your brains were dynamite, there wouldn’t be enough to blow your hat off.


If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don’t have nerve enough to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts.



For some reason, the most vocal Christians among us never mention the Beatitudes. But, often with tears in their eyes, they demand that the Ten Commandments be posted in public buildings. And of course that’s Moses, not Jesus. I haven’t heard one of them demand that the Sermon on the Mount, the Beatitudes, be posted anywhere.
"Blessed are the merciful" in a courtroom? "Blessed are the peacemakers" in the Pentagon? Give me a break!



If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC



"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'"

No comments: